Thursday, September 13, 2012

Is It Dangerous Where You Live :: No! :: Maybe

“Do stuff. Be clenched, curious. Not waiting for inspiration's shove or society's kiss on your forehead. Pay attention. It's all about paying attention. Attention is vitality.  It connects you with others. It makes you eager. Stay eager.”
- Susan Sontag

Over my 25 years of home ownership, I've installed a few fans and new light fixtures.  Each time I followed my Dad's advice and turned off the breaker switches, usually all of them, just to be safe.  I've installed toilets and built a screened-in-porch.  As a gallery owner, I am a qualified expert at hiding holes in sheet rock.  I've used every power tool ever invented.  In fact, before moving to the Yucatan, I owned more power tools than most of the men I knew.  None of these former skills are useful here in Mexico! 

I don't know anything about cars, or maintaining a pool..  I'm a 90 lbs weakling, requiring assistance to move anything over 50 lbs, and I cannot open a jar of marinated artichokes without my trusty Black & Decker jar lid opener.  But, as I mentioned, I do know something about installing fans and decorative lighting.  I know you need to turn off the breakers if you don't want to receive an electrical shock.  I tried suggesting that to the electrician yesterday as he reinstalled a fan.  High in the sky, precariously roosted on a ladder to reach a fixture 20' upward bound, he was knocked clean across the room.  Without a sheepish grin following the grotesque grimace, he up-righted the ladder, again without the convenience of turning off the breaker, and continued his work. 

As many before me have mentioned as they journey through their own construction projects, Mexico has its' own ways of doing things.  I can't wait to see how the toilet, cemented in place, is removed once it needs a new wax ring seal.  

Wonder if they fitted it with the wax ring I provided?

The Broad




Pin It Now!

4 comments:

Marc Olson said...

"Wax ring seal? We don't need no stinkin' wax ring seal."

The Broad said...

Crazy man! LOL!

Marc Olson said...

Seriously, Broad, if they put in the wax seal I will buy you 100 free meals at La Virgen Morena.

When there is a leak or it's time to change out your toilet, they will use a chisel. No joke.

The Broad said...

Marc, I think you will be putting that lunch money in the bank! I did my best to change their ways, but as you know, things are slow to change.