Monday, March 04, 2013

When Grandma Turns Blue Haired : New Directions & Much Gratitude

::We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures.:: 
 - Thornton Wilder

Today is my birthday!!!!!!!!!!  Or it will be when you read this post.  I'm actually in Uxmal (Oosh-mahl), Yucatan standing atop one of the ancient structures thanking everyone, and I mean everyone that I have ever encountered.  You see, I have birthday rituals that span the entire month of March.  Yeppers, I'm one of those gals that believes one can never celebrate just once, the most magnaimus thing that has ever happened in your life.  Besides, it's Women's History Month!

For over 100 days I am greeted by the request to express gratitude.  One of the very loveliest of the Broads Abroads began a status post that has now become a morning ritual.  By participating and reading the post of others, I piece together the remarkable journeys of the men and women who unwittingly chronicle their lives.  From tragedy to wonder, from excess to simplicity, all of life is made visible in their comments.  Thanks to all of them for adding new ways to my own journey.  

To the few petty tyrants that got through the looking glass, thank you for giving me a space to regain my Godzilla energy and practice the Four Agreements.  Without you, I would have stayed small or too tall for my own britches!  If I have done the same for you, great!

Every once in awhile I introduce you to the Broads Abroad that give my transition a bit of Gitty-Up!  This one is for the men inching me closer to Boyfriend For Life.  The Husbands, especially, THE Emperor, with the fabulous teeny-tiny-small-small-small wife, keeps impressing me with his public declarations of love for his princess bride.  Quickly approaching their fifteenth year of marriage, the bonds are stronger than ever and deep as the roots of tall Texas grass (that would be 12 feet, ya'll!If not for G, my homeboy in Merida, Southside adventures would not exist. Over the next year I'll be sharing more about South Merida living. SoMe, is it SoYou?  I can never thank Manuel, aka Lolo, enough for all the small pleasures and huge acts of kindness.  He has taught me many a Machiavellian tricks that have altered my relationships.  Gracias, Amigo!  

OMGosh, how am I ever going to cover all the amazing Loud Sisters?  First, if you think you are not on this list, you are WRONG!  Maybe I have known you my entire life or we just met or we have never met.  Maybe you live with dyed hair, have long white locks, tied locks into baby knots, whipped locks that fly into the faces of others or sheared your locks for Locks of Love.  Maybe you live with two bouncy breast, down to your knees breast, augmented breast or no breast.  Maybe you have lots of junk in the trunk or a really famous flat ass.  Maybe you think I don't love you because I don't call or write - that's because I'm not always a great friend - but let me tell you something, YOU, MY DEARS are the forces in nature that drive every blasted act and mark.  PERIOD!  (Thank Gawd those days are gone for most of us! WINK)


Kids, and I mean my children, every word and each act of kindness you share with one another makes me unbelievably proud that you two are brother and sister.  More than any other people in your lives, you shape perception of the opposite sex and teach one another the greater meaning of family.  Your respect for one another is a joy to watch.  Break all the family patterns!  Untie the knots!  Long live Link and Zelda!  The tattoos are on me during our next family reunion!  Let's make it soon!

Happy Birthday Everyone!
The Broad
 
Pin It Now!

2 comments:

Merilee Dodson said...

What a beautiful gratitude post Benne. May this year be the best so far. Love you bunches, happy birthday.

The Broad said...

Thank you Merilee for starting and continuing the gratitude post! Have truly benefited from all that contribute each morning. Great joy!