Saturday, April 06, 2013

What Is White And Covered In Flowers? : Huipils!

:: We sleep, but the loom of life never stops, and the pattern which was weaving when the sun went down is weaving when it comes up in the morning. ::
- Henry Ward Beecher


Sometimes after attending an exhibition I am left with a handful of questions.  The huipil (wipil) exhibition at the anthropology museum in Mérida has made me more curious about the tradition.  The huipil is a very common sight throughout the Yucatan.  It is basically a fancy tunic, always decorated about the neckline, often across the bodice, and occassionaly at the hemline.  Take an evening stroll in the Plaza Grande and there will be reserved seating to watch traditional Yucateco dancing.  The woman in these dance troops are wearing beautifully embroidered huipils.  

Several regions of the Yucatán were represented at the exhibition, and from each there was an obvious embroidering style, with Valladolid having the most varied.  Unfortunately,  the Valladolid huipils the artists were listed as unknown.  I learned that the decorative styles indicate not just the community that a woman belongs to but also her status.  I suppose my own huipil screams tourist community. 


When I was attending graduate school in the Bay Area I worked for an agency that acquired some very large and beautiful heddle looms.  Our facility was small and unable to house them all so, I acquired one of the larger looms and called it the Shipwreck as it looked like a Chinese  junk.  The older huipils were woven on a backstrap loom, with the decorative portions being done on the loom or by hand, sometimes with the aid of a sewing machine.  When I first moved to Merida, I bought a unfinished piece that was still connected to a backstrap


I think I will be taking a trip to Valladolid in the near future.  I love the individual expression in their huipils!

Create the life you want!
The Broad

Pin It Now!

3 comments:

Babs said...

The huipiles in different parts of Mexico are made totally different then the ones in the Yucatan. There is a cooperative next to the hotel in Vallodolid. However, much to my disappointment, I did not see any women working together.
The place where I saw the most work being done that you could observe was in Chiapas in Zincantan which is just 20 minutes from San Cristobal. Also in Guatemala near Chichicastenango.
I did love the work in Vallodolid and did bring a couple of things back to enjoy in our 2 months of summer here in San Miguel!

The Broad said...

Thanks for this information, Barbara. I can't wait to go to Valladolid, but as you write, I do want to watch the work being done. And stop bragging about the length of your summer! :)

Babs said...

Well my dear, we ARE in the midst of our summer. 91F yesterday but 7% humidity. Had I not looked at the weather station for SMA, I wouldn't have known it was that hot. A far cry from Houston or NOLA, to put it mildly.
Vallodolid is one of the sweetest towns I've visited in Mexico. Truly.
Enjoy when you go........Take photos. I, of course, wish I had bought more things, especially something for me and not everyone else.......Darn.